WordPress is like your website’s operating system, and WordPress is also by far the most popular way to make a website. WooCommerce takes that basic WordPress operating system and turns it into a fully functional eCommerce store. More than that, WooCommerce is the most popular way to build an eCommerce store for successful sites.
Why is WooCommerce so popular?
There are a bunch of reasons why WooCommerce is such a popular way to build an eCommerce store:
- It is free.
- It is open-source. Anyone can go in and audit, modify or extend the code.
- It is a regular person friendly. You don’t need to be an expert developer to launch a store.
- It is extensible. Using something called “plugins”, you can add all kinds of new functionality to your store without the need for any technical knowledge.
- It works on all devices. More and more people shop on smartphones and is ready to serve those people.
- It looks how you want it to. Using something called “themes”, you can control exactly how your store looks without the need for any technical knowledge.
- It is secure. Beyond being open-source, WooCommerce comes from Automattic, a billion-dollar company with the resources to secure your store.
How to Use WooCommerce for Creating Online Store?
WooCommerce is a free plugin that is simple and straight forward. In a word, It is the perfect way to transform your WordPress website into a fully functional E-Commerce store.
- Technically, WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin. It needs to be installed and activated like any other plugin to work.
- It’s free and open-source – just like WordPress. You don’t need a license, things don’t expire, and nobody asks for money at any time.
- This is the most popular e-commerce plugin for WordPress.
- This (argument) is also one of the most feature-rich plugins of this type.
- You can create it by setting it up yourself.
- Setup is fast. Usually, it’s just an afternoon thing.
- It works with any design/theme currently on your WordPress site – you don’t have to dig your existing website design.
What can we sell with WooCommerce?
- Digital products (such as software, downloads, eBooks)
- Physical products
- Reservations (such as for appointments, or anything else that can be booked)
- Other people’s products – as affiliates
- Customizations (such as additional customizations above your product list), and more.
- In other words – you can make money from your website.
We’ll take the risk of saying that WooCommerce allows you to sell anything that has a price tag assigned to it. In addition, anyone can use it (if you’ve already been able to launch a WordPress site, you’ll be able to handle WooCommerce as well).