If you’re new WordPress, bbPress and BuddyPress are often quite confusing. the very fact that they both begin with an equivalent letter and end with Press, make it difficult to recollect, the utilization of every plugin. (Okay so could also be the word ‘Buddy’ may be a clue). bbPress may be a plugin to make forums, while BuddyPress may be a plugin wont to create an intimate social network.
Both plugins provide communication platforms, using which individuals or groups can freely exchange ideas, discuss topics, ask questions, and so on. Basically, to draw more visitors and registered users on your WordPress site, by inducing away a community.
bbPress and BuddyPress: The Features
To provide you with a summary, let’s take a glance at the features of every plugin.
To make things simple, bbPress might be wont to add support forums or idea forums, where the motive is to ask questions, and for others to participate and answer these questions. It’s a fanatical forums plugin, and provides for the subsequent features:
- Single site and Multisite Forums
- Customizable Templates
- Lightweight and Fast
On the opposite hand, BuddyPress might be wont to create a site like Facebook, where users have profiles, add updates, and build a network. BuddyPress provides tons more features, as compared to bbPress:
- User Account Settings and Profile Extension
- Connect with Friends
- Instant Messaging
- Notifications and Activity Updates
- User Groups
bbPress and BuddyPress: The Similarities
To begin with, let’s state a couple of facts that are common to both these WordPress plugins.
- Developed by: Both plugins are built by an equivalent company, Automattic, the one which has built WordPress also. (Explains the equal absence of documentation for both plugins)
- Free: Both plugins are open source and are liberal to use!
- Platform: PHP and MySQL. No surprises there.
Well, that list was short! That’s because these plugins are built for various purposes, but are usually utilized in conjunction with one another.
Moving on. We’ll evaluate the differences between the 2.
bbPress v/s BuddyPress: The Difference
- Usage: As mentioned, bbPress may be a forum software, while BuddyPress may be a social networking plugin.
Forums provide you with a platform to receive comments, found out topics for discussion. If this seems like something you would like, bbPress is that the plugin for you.
However, if your requirement, is to possess a platform, where users can create groups, exchange messages, then BuddyPress is that the plugin you would like. BuddyPress provides advanced communication tools for user groups.
- Add-Ons: BuddyPress has over 600 add-ons, whereas bbPress has around 400. What does this mean to you? BuddyPress probably has readily available add-ons for features you would like. While bbPress has limited (yes 200 is relatively fewer). It also means, means BuddyPress may be a highly popular plugin, hence several add-ons are built.
- Performance: If you had to match both plugins, to feature forums into your WordPress website, BuddyPress would be comparatively slower, because it’s tons more features, and it loads all of them. bbPress may be a lightweight plugin.
- Ease of Use: bbPress is fairly simpler as compared to BuddyPress when it involves fixing the plugin. But that’s because bbPress has limited features.
But once you believe it, social networking websites have forums also. And since BuddyPress uses bbPress for forums, you’d need both the plugins on your site. When integrating the 2, many users often have a doubt, regarding which plugin, they ought to install first. But, since both plugins are different, you’ll install either plugin. they’re in no way hooked into one another. If you deactivate one plugin, the opposite works seamlessly.
So folks, let me know your views and questions on these plugins. Which plugin does one think suits your use case better?